Monday, March 31, 2008

The revolution of beauty

Watch the top clip first then the bottom



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U&feature=related

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD5Hadlhr1M&feature=related

I've only seen the real Dove advertisement before and after researching it a little I came across what I believe to be a phenomenal form of culture jamming. Personally, I think they are both amazing. I believe I am a very open minded person, and in saying that I think to help other people do the same both advertisements should be played together.Our perception of beauty IS flawed. To many people, the image of this man dressed as a woman is beautiful. I think this would be such a controversial ad and the reactions would be very interesting,different and I think ranging from inspired to insulted. If you compare the two ads, they are exactly the same. Besides the fact that one is of a woman and one is of a man becoming a woman. Why is it that when we see the ad of the woman being transformed into this picture perfect model we say "oh man, that's messed up" and just go back to watching TV. But if the other ad came on television I bet you would be getting a few phone calls to the network that was airing it. I would love for Dove to put their name on that billboard as part of their "campaign for beauty". "Drag Queens can be pretty too" -Dove
Its messed up. If these ads show anything its that we live in a totally edited world. We know about airbrushing and that we can eliminate red eye! It makes me pretty nauseous to think about how often we forget that people aren't perfect. Now, kudos to Dove because they must have gotten more than a few fans after the campaign for beauty ads. No offence to dove, I think it's probably bullshit. They know how to market a product, it's what advertising is all about. When Dove gets the guts to air this other version of a similar ad (although they didn't create it) I will re-post with praise.

No comments: