Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Manipulation in the Media

So I started reading "The Death of Media" today and I have to say I am somewhat concerned with my lifestyle. Not that I conform to everything that is seen as "hip or trendy" but that I watch so much television I can't remember if I actually like something or just think I like it due to constantly being told whats cool. I have always known that television is designed to maximize profits as Schechter states but their goal to distract away from this realisation has truly gotten hold of me. It's like infomercials...we're told they are gimmicks that don't work and we all see the "results may vary" in size 8 font at the bottom of the screen but it doesn't change us from believing it.

I honestly never really considered manipulation and seduction to play such a large role commercially. Over the years I have avoided the radio because I don't like being told what songs I am meant to like..however I didn't even think that by watching television I still was being told whats popular, thus what I should be watching. And it's everywhere, I try to pride myself on not conforming to the fashions of today but it's not always easy to go shopping and not end up with something that's considered part of today's trends.

One other thing that actually I find kind of disturbing is how by reading books like this I feel like I'm discovering that I've been lied to for my whole life. I've always known that "TV markets culture" but never sat and thought about it. Then in class I hear about Facebook and how deceiving it is, and being told it's like being under surveillance...and you conform to who you "wish you were" not who you are. It makes me sick, and anxious. I went home and really contemplated deleting my account because I felt almost violated.

My issue is I trust anyone who in my opinion is smarter and knows more about subject than I do...I never feel like I know the truth though because so many people have so many opinions. I'm really intrested now about the manipulations and issues about mass media because I feel less isolated from what truly going on behind the curtain.

1 comment:

I. Reilly said...

another interesting allusion to alice in wonderland here... i wouldn't worry so much about feeling less competent to deal with these larger issues because you're only beginning to enter the conversation. your goal, however, should be to find points of entry into topics and issues that impact your own life directly. then you can really start thinking about the relationship between tv and the shaping of ideas and the culture of opinion.

keep writing,
i.