Monday, January 14, 2008

Down the Rabbit Hole

Hey there,
just wanted to write about a few thoughts I had following today's lecture/discussion


Watching the short clip from "Being John Malcovich" and our discussion of Inter-texuality, it really got my mind spiraling around the idea of how often I link one thing to another subconsciously. Like prof. Reilly said, it basically just happens because our brain links things to what we already know. When we started the clip and I saw the small door behind the filing cabinet, the first thing I thought of was "Alice in Wonderland" and how her adventure took her down the Rabbit hole to this little door at the end of a hallway, which like the character in "Being John Malcovich" she had a strong desire to go through. Then the door is opened and all you can see is this dark tunnel which looked identical to the Rabbit hole in "Alice" so that sparked my initial link. I then travelled from "Rabbit Hole" to "The Matrix" as Morpheus explains to Neo how going into the Matrix was going "down the rabbit hole". The Matrix in turn is based on a huge advancement in technology as the whole story is set in a computer like world, so that has a direct relevance in the sense that we are studying media.
I'm interested to know what Inter-textual thoughts or ideas struck other people after seeing this short piece of film.

I also wanted to add a quick indirect comment about the topic of discussion about Gay and Lesbian people not being allowed to donate organs...I never heard anything about this till today, and I wanted to agree with what Christine said in the sense that, why did no one get to vote for or debate this issue. Every year I see all this publicity for the yearly "Marijuana March" and people arguing to make pot legal. And the publicity for these events are everywhere, TV, Internet, Facebook, Newspaper... If THIS is what were taking our time to protest about, It makes me wonder where all the support is for the more important issues. Is there just less coverage on the things that are considered more important?


1 comment:

I. Reilly said...

i like the connections you're making between the material we're covering in class and the texts that you are thinking about during these discussions. i think the metaphor of the rabbit hole is an interesting one for the course, one that you might continue to think about as the course progresses. in terms of media coverage regarding certain issues (some issues getting getting more coverage than others), this is something you might want to monitor. sadly, sometimes important issues don't find their way into the popular conversation until it's too late.

keep writing,
i.